The International Student Life Cycle begins with admission to your dream school. In accordance with SEVP and SRJC policy, prospective F-1 students must complete the following steps by the deadline and ISP will provide a Form I-20 within 1-3 business days, along with instructions on how to apply for the F-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Visa appointment wait times vary by country, so plan ahead. You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the Program Start Date listed on your Form I-20. Contact us if you have questions!

Application is Closed

The Fall 2024 application closed on June 1st. The Spring 2025 application will open on July 1st.

How to Apply

Applying to Santa Rosa Junior College is as easy as 1, 2, 3!

Step 1:
Online Application

First you must create an account on OpenCCC, then login to submit the International Application on CCCApply:  

Apply Online

  • We recommend that you opt out of the verification process.
  • If you were referred to SRJC by an agency, please identify them by name in the Consent section of the online application. 
  • If you are a returning applicant, please enter your previous SID in the Supplemental Questions section. 

After submitting the online application you will receive a welcome email from SRJC including a 9-digit Student ID Number.

Step 2:
Document Upload

Using your Student ID Number, upload the required supporting documents: 

Upload Documents

  • Passport Biographical Page
  • Proof of English Proficiency
  • Evidence of Financial Support
  • Academic Records (if under 18)
Step 3:
Application Fee

Using your Student ID Number and Pin Code, login to your SRJC Student Portal to pay the $50 application fee online. To obtain your SRJC pin code visit the Login Help page. 

Login to Pay

NOTE: It can take 1-3 business days for the application fee to be posted to your account. This fee is non-refundable. 

Eligibility Requirements

Prospective F-1 students must have additional qualifications to attend SRJC. 

Proof of English Proficiency

SRJC will accept any of the following test scores to meet the proof of English proficiency requirement for international students: 

Examination Minimum Score
Cambridge English B2 - 169
Duolingo 95
IELTS 5.5 Band
iTEP Academic 3.5 - 3.9
Pearson (PTE) Academic 44
Step Eiken 2A
TOEIC Listening & Reading 605
Speaking 140 

Intensive English Language Program

SRJC has partnered with several English language programs to prepare students for undergraduate study. If your goal is to attend SRJC, but you haven’t met the English language proficiency requirement, don't worry! You can begin your studies in the U.S. at one of our partner language programs, complete the required level, and then transfer directly to SRJC to begin your academic program.

Language Program Location Minimum Level
ELS Language Centers San Rafael, CA Level 109
EC San Francisco San Francisco, CA Level -B2
Kapan International Languages Berkeley, CA B2 Level
Destination Davis Davis, CA Level 600
Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI) - ON HIATUS Rohnert Park, CA Level 500

Prior Education in a Foreign Country

English proficiency can also be demonstrated by meeting one of the following conditions as indicated on your academic transcripts or on a letter from your school on official letterhead:

  • Earned a high school diploma or studied for a minimum of 3 years in a country where English is the only official language (see list).
  • Earned a high school diploma or studied for a minimum of 3 years at an international school or similar where English is the principal language of instruction.
  • Completed all years of study at a school in Singapore with grades of “C” or higher.
  • Completed all years of study at a school in Scandinavian countries and received grades of A, B, or C in English 5 and 6.

Prior Education in the United States

English proficiency can also be demonstrated by meeting one of the following conditions as indicated on your academic transcripts:

  • Earned a high school diploma, or studied for a minimum of 3 years and attained a grade of "C" or better in all English courses, at a public or private high school.
  • Received a degree, or completed an English composition course and attained a grade of "C" or better, at a regionally accredited college or university.
Evidence of Financial Support

In accordance with F-1 visa regulations, international applicants must provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to live and study in the U.S. for the first year of their academic program. This is required for you (and any dependents) before a Form I-20 can be issued. Our estimated expenses are explained on our Fees & Expenses page. Applicants must upload a bank statement that meets our requirements. All financial documents must include: 

  • Current date - Documents must be no more than 6 months old.
  • Account holder's name - If the student is not the account holder, a signed Declaration of Sponsor Support must be included.
  • An available final balance of $32,972 - Financial resources must be available for immediate withdrawal. Checking and savings accounts are acceptable. Investment accounts, retirement funds, pensions, tax returns, lines of credit, employment letters, and/or life insurance polices are not acceptable. Business accounts are only acceptable with proof of ownership. If you will receive free housing and meals from a local sponsor, only $18,605 is required, along with a signed Declaration of Sponsor Support
    Currency - If the currency is not displayed, we will assume the national currency according to whatever country is listed on the bank or account holder's address.

See examples of acceptable documents. If you have questions or need assistance accessing this document, please email

Academic Records

Proof of high school graduation is required for applicants who will be under 18 years of age* when classes begin. Upload a copy of your diploma or unofficial transcripts listing the date of completion. Transcripts can also be used to demonstrate English proficiency (see above). SRJC does not have a minimum GPA for admission, nor do we require SAT scores. If you have completed any undergraduate coursework at another college/university and you would like it be considered for transfer credit at SRJC, this cannot be requested until your admission is complete and you are enrolled in classes at SRJC.

*Special note for minors: Please have a parent or guardian submit the Parent/Guardian Consent Form and we recommend that you stay with a host family who can act as your legal guardian in the U.S. 

Application Deadlines
Admission Term Application Cycle Class Meeting Dates
Fall Semester December 1st - June 1st August - December
Spring Semester July 1st - November 1st January - May
Summer Session* January 1st - April 1st June - August

*SRJC does not admit Initial F-1 students for Summer Session. If you are not currently inside the U.S. with an Active SEVIS record, please submit an application for the Fall or Spring Semester. If you are a transfer student and wish to begin your studies at SRJC in Summer Session, please use the standard application to apply and enter "No Visa" / "No Documents" when asked about your Citizenship (we will update your status manually). 

Special Circumstances

Please review the following information to see if any of these circumstances apply to your situation. 

Transfer Credit

SRJC does not require official transcripts for admission. However, if you have completed any lower-division undergraduate coursework at an accredited college or university, you may be able to transfer some credits towards your degree or certificate program at SRJC, but only after you are enrolled in classes. 

To transfer credits to SRJC from a foreign institution, first you must obtain official records from your school and submit them to an NACES-certified member and purchase a comprehensive credential evaluation. Once SRJC receives your official evaluation, you must submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form. Please visit the admissions website for more information about submitting official transcripts to SRJC.

Deferring Admission

Sometimes plans change or a student is unable to obtain the F-1 visa/status before classes start at SRJC. If necessary, you may choose to defer your Program Start Date and you won't have to re-pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.

When the application cycle opens for the next available semester, you can sign in to OpenCCC and submit a new online application to SRJC. You do not have to resubmit any documents. Once ISP receives your new online application we will email you an updated Form I-20. 

Concurrent Enrollment

F-1 students may take classes at two or more SEVP-certified schools to meet the full-time requirement (see Study in the States)

Inbound: Follow the Steps for New Students to enroll at SRJC. When asked on CCCApply about citizenship, you should put Other/No Documents. Otherwise you will be redirected to the international application, which is not required for concurrent enrollment students. Once registered in classes, you may obtain an enrollment verification online. 

Outbound: Visit the admissions website for the other school and submit an online application via CCCApply. When asked about citizenship, you should select "no visa/no documents," or you may be required to provide documents for a Form I-20, which you don't need (your I-20 will be maintained at SRJC). Once you are admitted and receive a Student ID number, you can follow their steps to register for classes. You must provide proof of enrollment to ISP if you are counting the course(s) towards your 12-unit requirement.

International/F-1 students are not allowed to use the website to register for online classes other California Community College.

Change of Status

If you are currently inside the U.S. in another status (e.g. B-1/B-2, J-1), there are two ways to acquire F-1 status so that you can legally study full-time at SRJC. The recommended path is to depart the U.S. and apply for the F-1 Student Visa at the U.S. Embassy.

If you choose not to return to your home country, the alternative is to file a Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status with USCIS. Be sure to check the processing time to see if this is a viable option for you. ISP does not recommend Change of Status for B-1/B-2 visitors. Furthermore, changing status is not the same as receiving a visa, so if you will travel internationally during your studies, you must apply for an F-1 Student Visa at the Embassy before returning.