Fall 2021 Update
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ISP Orientation will take place virtually this year. There is no in-person orientation. Please complete the ISP Orientation Fall 2021 course online in Canvas by Wednesday, August 11th.
New students are required to complete ISP Orientation online in Canvas. This course will equip you with the tools you'll need to be successful at SRJC.
Canvas is the official Learning Management System (LMS) for SRJC. It is primarily used by SRJC instructors for teaching lessons, scheduling assignments, providing quizzes, and assigning grades to their students. At the International Student Program (ISP), we use the same virtual tools to provide online orientation for new international students at SRJC.
ISP Orientation is mandatory for all new international students, and must be completed before classes start. It takes approximately 4 hours to review the course materials and complete the assignments and quizzes. The ISP Orientation course is self-paced, and you may complete it online from any location. If you do not complete ISP Orientation by the deadline, a hold will be placed on your account. ISP Orientation consists of five parts:
- Part 1: Welcome to ISP Orientation
- This is where you learn about Canvas, as well as get to know the staff behind the scenes. You will also have the opportunity to interact with other international students that are participating in orientation.
- Part 2: Registering for Classes
- Since classes at SRJC fill up quickly, we encourage you to review this information and register for classes as early as possible. In Part 2, you will learn what it means to "Become Fully Matriculated" as well as how to create a class schedule and register for classes.
- Part 3: F-1 Student Visa Regulations
- This may be the most important part of ISP Orientation. As an F-1 Student Visa holder, your compliance with federal regulations is critically important to maintaining your legal status in the United States. Your Designated School Officials (DSOs) at SRJC are here to help you understand exactly how to maintain status and understand the benefits of the F-1 visa.
- Part 4: Health & Safety
- Your health and safety at SRJC are very important to us. In Part 4, we will introduce you to several resources that you will need to be familiar with so that you can stay healthy and safe during your studies in the U.S.
- Part 5: Campus Resources
- SRJC is an incredible educational institution with a wide array of student services. Whatever you may need, there is someone at SRJC who can help!
Each part consists of several lessons, containing important information, and links to critical resources for further reading. You will also be asked to complete some assignments, and we will quiz you on your knowledge. You must earn 100% on all assignments and quizzes.