✓ Pack as lightly as possible.
- You can always have your family mail you a box or pick up what you need during a visit home. Remember too, anything you forget to bring can be purchased at nearby stores or online stores.
- For information about items prohibited or restricted by U.S. Customs, click here.
✓ Carry-On Luggage
- Carry all your important documents (including immigration documents DS-2019 or I-20) medications, toiletries, and few extra pieces of clothing in your carry-on luggage in case your checked bag gets lost. Sometimes, it can take a couple of days to locate misplaced luggage. To find out what you can take with you on the plane or put in your carry-on luggage, contact the airline you intend to use or visit the TSA (Transportation Security Administration).
- Do not pack anything valuable in your checked suitcase in case it gets lost.
✓ Clothes & Footwear
- Santa Rosa receives about 76 cm of rain per year. It doesn’t snow in Santa Rosa. On average there are 256 sunny days per year in Santa Rosa. Summers can be hot. Early fall tends to have hot periods, with temperatures in the mid-20s. Winter temperatures are chilly and can drop to 3 degrees overnight.
- For the summer, you will need light casual clothes. The ocean is less than an hour away, so you may want to bring a bathing suit or buy one here.
- During the fall and spring, you will want a light jacket or sweater.
- You will want a coat for winter.
- You will need an assortment of footwear: sandals for summer, warm waterproof boots for winter, and comfortable sneakers or flat shoes for walking around campus.
- It is recommended that you bring semi-formal outfit or buy one here. You may also want to bring some traditional dress from your country for festivals and/or special occasions.
- Just 0.16 km from SRJC is Plato’s Closet, a trendy secondhand thrift shop where you can purchase fashionable items for a low price.
✓ Mementos from Home
- Don’t forget to bring small familiar objects like photos and decoration to comfort you when you are missing home.
- You may also want to bring small souvenirs from your home country to give as gifts.
✓ Household Items
- Plan on buying most of your household items (small electrical appliances, bed sheets and towels, cooking and eating supplies) once you have arrived. If you have space in your suitcase, you can bring a set of sheets and towels from home to get started.